
It was a late night back at in my hometown, probably when I was in the 6th grade, when I was watching MTV's 120 Minutes. It was a show that featured new alternative rock acts. I had just started getting into bands like Green Day, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, etc. While taking in more rock music to my heart, a video premiere came on. It was a band called the Toadies, who were from the Ft. Worth area. The song; Possum Kingdom. I was hooked. I loved the sound of it. I became a huge fan and wore out their first major label full length until it wouldn't play anymore.
My Mom even took me to see them for my first real concert, which happened to feature the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I was on cloud 9. I bought a shirt from the show and I wore it at least twice a week. Eventually it became holey and I couldn't wear it anymore, but I still have it.
I saw the Toadies about 5 times all together. Twice in Chicago and about 3 times here in Texas. Eventually I started giving up on them. I was out of that sound and lost interest. That happens sometimes when you are taste change through out the years.
Anyways....tonight they happen to be playing about 1 minute from my house. I am torn because I want to go, but also, I don't care that much. I should go because they were my hero's for a long time. I would write them letters during my middle school years and they would even write back. Even in my middle school yearbooks, classmates would write "Toadies Rock". I was probably one of the biggest fans in the Chicagoland area.
My mother comes in town this afternoon (I'm picking her up and dropping her off at my Grandma's house on my lunch break). I told her last night that I might go see the show. She got all excited and wants to come with. I don't have a problem with my mom going. I won't feel embarrassed. Part of me just wants to go alone. This band was a huge part of my life back in the day and I kind of want to experience it one last time by myself.
If I see the Toadies tonight, I am making a promise to myself that this will be the last time.
Middle School sucked by the way.
No comments:
Post a Comment