Wednesday, April 15, 2009

When Bret Michaels hooked it up.



Slow slow day. My brain isn't working properly. I have an hour of work left and then I am heading home.

Since I am kind of blank today, I thought maybe I would talk about when Brett Michaels hooked up my family and my friend Samuel's family for a Poison show about 4 or 5 years ago.

The reason I am presenting this story is because I watched the season finale, finally last night of Rock of Love. Personally, I was wrong about who he picked and not happy about who he picked, but it is a show, right? I can't get too bent out of shape about it. My main problem is that they never mentioned the reunion show. Is there one?

Ok...story time.

My mother works for a company that sells and distributes a massive amount of horticultural products. Whether it is seeds, plants, pots, flats, etc etc. Anyways, my friend Samuel's parents work for the same company as my mom. They are from Montreal QC. Samuel's father, Yves (Eve, if you are trying to pronounce the name) was catching a plane to Vancouver. He sat next to a guy with long blonde hair extensions. It was Bret Michaels. Yves is not up to date on American culture. He doesn't know who Poison is. Bret Michaels was just another guy getting to Canada. They struck up a conversation and discussed their occupations and what not. Bret Michaels negotiated a deal with Yves. The deal was that he would hook up Yves, his family and 5 other extra tickets to see Poison during their Summer tour. Yves would then have to hook up a bunch of flowers and other materials for his at the time girlfriend in Vancouver.

The deal was made. The company set up the flowers. Yves kept in touch with Brett's manager and we were all given tickets. Me, Samuel, my brother Sam were all allowed to bring a friend and Samuel's parents and my mom were with us as well.

The tickets were great. 3rd row. Dead Center. We even found out we were on the guest list. I was so stoked. Going to meet Poison backstage. All the sluts back there. I even thought that I would tell the groupies that I was Bret's nephew. That would score me some tail for sure, right?

The show was great. Played the best songs off the Poison catalog (Look What the Cat Dragged In is their best album and it still is a fun listen). Someone was smoking weed by where we were at. Bret Michaels and Bobby Dall (bass player) smelled it too. They thought me and Samuel were smoking it so they came right in front of us and gave us the thumbs up and pretended to smoke a joint, like we were the ones smoking it. Honestly at the time I probably wish I was really smoking a joint. I wasn't though, but I knew that could be something I could talk to Bret about. "Remember when you and Bobby came up and made the gesture of smoking a joint, that was me you were looking at!"

The show ends. We wait in our seats and security tells us to wait patiently until our group is called. We wait and wait. Ricky Rockett's (drummer) fan club gets the nod. The sluts around us get pulled. Surely we are next to go back stage. Another hour passes. Still sitting outside with the fam and friends. Security then tells us that they aren't letting anyone else backstage. I was so bummed. I had all these brilliant ideas of what I was going to do back there. All these illusions of the groupies being naked. Nothing. Just great seats for the show, which I am very appreciative for.

It was a fun time. As Poison would say "it was nothing but a good time." Thanks Bret Michaels. You rocked my world!

I would post a Poison music vid here at the bottom, but YouTube won't let me. Restricted!

No comments: